Good Day, All!
So, yesterday was the last day of My 30 Day Fast From Social Media and I would love to share the results with you.
- I feel less stress and worry– When I was on social media every day, I always felt an overwhelming amount of gloom and worry. When I would close my Facebook or Instagram app, I would walk away from it feeling all of the negative status’ and comments made by strangers. Now, I am free of that.
- Better relationship with God– I find that my relationship with God has improved immensely. Without the noise of social media, I’ve been able to discern the voice of God. I find myself developing a more intimate relationship with Him, which in turn, is helping me manage the symptoms of mental and physical illness.
- I’ve become a better mom– The time I used to spend on social media, I now spend with my kids. We’ve been able to grow closer by having more conversations, playing board games, and outside activities. At first, I thought that it was helping me keep my mind off of social media, when it fact, it was helping my kids and I grow closer, like we used to be. It feels amazing.
- It freed up space on my cell phone– I was able to backup my contacts and media after deleting the social media apps. Something I haven’t been able to do for 17 weeks because how much memory Facebook and Instagram was taking up.
- I feel, overall, better about life– Removing tragedy from my life has been awesome-sauce! When I was online, I read about one tragic event after another. Without social media, I didn’t hear about the awful happenings of the world all of the time. Even when my husband would try to tell me something that he read on Facebook, I would simply reply, “Babe, I’m not on social media for a reason”.
- I’ve learned to control my desire– Due to this time apart, I have lost the desire to be on social media completely. Social media is necessary because I am starting an online business and social media is one of the greatest resources. That being said, I now know that I will only use social media to grow my business, not to argue with silly internet trolls and obsessing over meaningless celebrity gossip.
Completing a 30-day social media fast has truly been a life-changing experience. I really feel like this was the right step to my recovery journey. Honestly, I didn’t know what to expect at the end of this fast or even what I wanted to accomplish, really. I just knew that I wanted to disconnect from the stronghold that social media had on me. I was able to accomplish that and more.
Thank you to everyone who encouraged me during my fast. I would recommend this fast to anyone, even if you are not a social media junkie.
“Believe in yourself, and the rest will fall into place. Have faith in your own abilities, work hard, and there is nothing you cannot accomplish.” -Brad Henry